Dementia and beyond

  • 8 Jun 2017
Key Point
  • Don’t wait until you have Dementia to sort out who should be managing your assets.

The phone rings and you pick it up. It’s your father, and he tells you the same cat story for the 10th time this week. In fact, you’re not even sure if the cat story happened this week, or last month, or last year or…  Your father is displaying signs of memory loss and dementia.

You realise that he has never appointed anyone as his attorney and his memory is deteriorating.  Perhaps it is time to help your father out with the management his financial affairs.

Can a person appoint an attorney when he is showing signs of dementia?

If a person can still understand the effect of the power of attorney, he can sign a power of attorney to appoint someone to act as his attorney. If there is any doubt as to capacity, it is prudent to obtain a doctor’s report that the person had capacity at the same time the power of attorney is executed.

If a person is unable to understand the effect of the power of attorney, there are two options:

  1. one can still ‘appoint’ the attorney, however, any exercise of the power will need to be confirmed by the Supreme Court of NSW in accordance with the Act. This could result in a lengthy and costly process; or
  2. one can apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘NCAT’) to appoint a financial manager. A financial manager has much the same functions as an attorney and has the authority to make decisions about financial affairs such as operate bank accounts, pay bills, invest money and sell or buy property.
Who can be a Financial Manager?

In an application for financial management, NCAT may decide to appoint a private financial manager (family member or friend) or the NSW Trustee and Guardian.

On the application form, one can suggest a person (eg, a family member) to be a financial manager. NCAT will consider the suggestion but is not bound by it.

If there is no-one suitable or willing to take on the role, NCAT can appoint the NSW Trustee and Guardian as the financial manager.

The moral of the story

Whilst you or your aging parents are well and of sound mind, make sure you sign an enduring power of attorney!

This is a simple and cost effective method to ensure that important financial and property matters can be attended to by a trusted person when one loses the mental capacity to do so.

If you need any assistance or advice with your power of attorney, we are here to help.

Post by Janie Ng and Anne Sandeman 

Most Popular Articles


When can the unqualified be qualified? Non-lawyers engaging in legal practice - when is it OK and when is the law broken

Only lawyers can provide legal advice, but anyone can provide legal information. When thinking of the difference, you might ask your friend or colleague to provide information about a serious illness; however you would seek out a qualified medical professional in relation to its treatment.

Service of Notices by Registered Post

Where service of a notice is authorised or required by post, unless the contrary intention appears, service will be deemed to be effected at the time when the notice would be delivered in the ordinary course of post: see the various Acts Interpretation acts of the States and Commonwealth.

Thanks, but no thanks – I don’t want to inherit

It seems odd that anybody would reject an inheritance, but for some beneficiaries, there are valid reasons they do not wish to receive their inheritance.

Subscribe to Our Blog

Keeping you connected, Hicksons regularly publishes articles to keep you up to date on the latest developments. To receive these updates via email, please subscribe below and indicate which areas of law you would like to receive information on.