Across three centuries, Hicksons and its antecedents have been trusted names in the legal profession in NSW and now around Australia.
We listen; give clear, timely advice and always act with integrity and sensitivity. We’re practical people with real-world commercial and community experience and deep legal expertise.
The firm that has become Hicksons was founded by Mr W Hill in the late 1800s.
Mr Hill’s firm became W H Hill and Weir which, in 1952, had partners named Allen Lakeman and Bruce Holcombe.
Sole practitioner Raymond Hickson joined the firm to create Hickson Lakeman & Holcombe in April 1952 and, for the next 45 years, it carried the name of three highly regarded lawyers:
- Raymond John Lazarus Hickson, partner from April 1952 to June 1957;
- Allen Roger Lakeman, partner from April 1952 to August 1973; and
- Bruce Andrew Holcombe, partner from April 1952 to May 1975.
Hickson Lakeman & Holcombe changed its name to Hickson Wisewoulds in 1997 when it became part of the Wisewoulds Group.
In 2001, at the start of the new century, the firm changed its name to Hicksons and withdrew from the Wisewoulds Group.
From a single office in Sydney, the firm how has its headquarters at One International Towers, Level 24, 100 Barangaroo Avenue, Sydney, and offices in Canberra (opened in 2000) and Newcastle (2006).
From its historic foundation by Mr W Hill more than 130 years ago, Hicksons now has 31 partners, more than 140 lawyers and more than 90 support staff, all dedicated to helping government, organisations and individuals throughout Australia and Asia create sustainable value by delivering legal and commercial advice, services and solutions.
Our notable alumni
- The late Yvonne Paterson, who was one of the first women in New South Wales to become a partner of a law firm. Yvonne was a partner of Hicksons from 1962-1967.
- The Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG, who was a justice of the High Court of Australia, was a partner of the firm from 1963-1967. Memories of Hicksons is a speech delivered by Justice Kirby in 2008. Justice Kirby was a guest speaker at the Hicksons Alumni Dinner in 2008.
- The Hon. Justice David Kirby, who is a judge of the Supreme Court of NSW, was a partner from 1967-1969 and from 1972-1973. Justice Kirby is now retired.
- John Bagnall, who served as acting Judge of the Compensation Court of NSW, was one of the longest-serving partners of the firm. John was a partner for almost 26 years from 1970-1995.
Other prominent persons have passed through the ranks of the firm’s professional staff, include:
- The Hon. Justice Alan Boulton AO, formerly of the Federal Industrial Court of Australia and is currently a Senior Deputy President of the Australian Industrial Relations Commission, and a Senior Deputy President of Fair Work Australia.
- The Hon. Rod Howie, formerly of the Supreme Court of NSW.
- Her Honour Judge Jennifer English of the District Court of NSW.
- Senior members of the Bar, including James Poulos QC (partner 1970‑1972), John Sackar QC and Bruce Odling.
- The former NSW attorney general, the Hon. Bob Debus, was once a member of the firm’s professional staff. Bob Debus also served as the federal Minister for Home Affairs until 2009.